No, I'm not turning 30, not yet anyway. This post is about the pact I made with myself on May 1 to make 30 paintings this month. They are all small, I mean really small. 4x6 inches is the size of most, a couple are smaller. The reason I'm working so small is because I only want to spend about an hour or two on each painting and I want them just to be a place to work out an idea or make a small study. I'm really excited about a couple of them. Once this baby comes out I'll pull out all my toxic oil paints and make some bigger pieces. This one isn't the most exciting but it is my Day 7 painting, appropriately titled:
Redhead

Since we've been in Albuquerque I've been working in the Nursery at church. A couple of weeks ago I noticed a spunky little redheaded girl shoving other kids and taking toys from everyone. I made a mental note to keep Rosie away from that one. But towards the end of church she started crying and puked up something neon colored. No one else was eager to clean it up and since I've been puked on more times than I can count I took on the job. I wiped her tears and held her over a trash can till her mom came and then I wiped up the neon puke. She really grew on me. As she came to mind this week I thought I'd like to make a painting of a redheaded woman. After I made this Lilian started coloring all of her princesses' hair with an orange crayon. Most of the women in my paintings are blond, this was a fun departure.
I don't think I'll post all 30 pieces. Some are just not blog worthy. But I've got a lot of ideas going and I'm so happy to be spending my days painting again.
7 comments:
You are really talented. I'd love to see more of your work. Being a redhead (although not naturally) I appreciate your "departure" from blonde :)
What a great idea!
Please Please post all 30! You have such talent friend! I am impressed! My lazy susan is my only true "Work of Art" in my home. A true treasure! Love the red head pic!!
You are such a takented woman. Love your painting!
i love this painting girl. prodigee
Please post all your paintings so I can get some culture. Rebel flags and grafitti do not a cultured town make. I miss our art class days; you drawing on a poster board and me filling it in with my idiotic yarn and paste. I also miss our Spanish class days; you drawing funny comics and me laughing so much I wanted to puke. I appreciate all the depths of your talent!
thats such a cool idea! i love the profile painting
Post a Comment