Monday, October 10, 2011

Hair Cuts

I have given Lilian and Rosie so many bad haircuts, I don't know why I bother.  After my last butchering earlier this year, I had to rush Lilian to my salon for an emergency fix.  Rosie's was tolerable, poor thing, and not worth the $25.  So, why do I do it again?  I don't know what it is about birthing babies that makes a woman feel qualified to cut hair, but it does.  It probably goes along with our instant need to sew and bake bread.  We must be self sufficient!!

Here is one example of Lilian's bad, bad bowl cut she sported around 18 months old. I needed to trim her bangs and my scissors just kept creepin' down the sides.  Oh the humiliation!!


This time I thought it might be a good idea to get some instruction instead of just winging it with whatever I learned from watching Blow Out years ago.  I used this video.  I watched it through twice before I started and again while I cut each girl's hair.  I bought some actual hair-cutting scissors this time.  I know...I decided to upgrade from the gift-wrap scissors.  Rosie's cut went quite smooth.  Only took me about 15 minutes or so.



Lilian's hair was more difficult and I trimmed off much more.  Mostly because I kept messing up, but it really was getting quite long.  That's my excuse.  Her hair is so thick, it was more challenging.  The one thing I would do differently next time is separate her hair into more sections as the video recommends.




I may not know better than to cut hair with no experience, but I certainly knew better than to attempt to trim Daphne's.  Besides, I think it's just perfect.  But, so that she wouldn't feel left out, I set her on the stool and brushed out her hair.


5 comments:

The Wilsons said...

Good for you! I have finally admitted to me that its worth it to pay to get Ruthanne's hair cut by someone else (instead of me starting then going to someone else) but if I had THREE girls, I don't know. Right now Ruthanne is growing out her hair, yuck, but it saves on the haircuts I guess!

Unknown said...

You did a good job!
I have given my kids many bad haircuts...I won't even attempt to cut my older kids hair anymore(unless they want it shaved, ha ha!) Middle school is hard enough without a mom haircut :)
Maybe next time I'll follow your example and actually watch a how-to video.

chelsea b james said...

that bowl cut just gave me a really good laugh, adam was like, what are you laughing at? he he, so funny. I love her face too, bless her little heart she has no idea. You even watched a tutorial? sheesh, you go girl

chelsea b james said...

that bowl cut just gave me a really good laugh, adam was like, what are you laughing at? he he, so funny. I love her face too, bless her little heart she has no idea. You even watched a tutorial? sheesh, you go girl

Erin Elizabeth said...

Pictures of Lily's first haircut never fail to make me bust out laughing. You did great this time and Lily's hair was super, super long. If only I could get mine to grow!