Wednesday, May 16, 2012

My New Project

I hope this project doesn't become a creepy obsession.  I feel it starting already but I'm doing my best to squash it to a reasonable size.  Here's my fun new project:


Last week, I impulsively bought this dollhouse at a garage sale for $20.  I thought it was such a steal until I got home and realized the cost of just the few things I need to replace.  Sheesh!  If I had only known then I would have ran the other way.  But it's a real honest to goodness dollhouse and I think I was just fulfilling a childhood wish.  It really is beautiful, I hope it'll be fun.  Brook said as soon as I started talking about trim and refinishing the floors, he was already stressed out.

But here's a look: 

I have all the balcony railings.  They just need to be reattached.



A window box is missing:


 

 

Here the house is missing a front door and stairs:


$22 and now we have some stairs to stain/ paint/ install.  You can see how this gets pricey.



The house came with a few trinkets: kitchen supplies, a bit of furniture, a sewing machine, and some other odds & ends.  The house is wired for electricity and there are already little light fixtures in all the rooms.








Here you can see some of the wiring in the top room.  Once we make sure everything is functioning, it will be covered with wallpaper and flooring.



The girls have been really excited about it and play with it tons despite it's state.  I intend for it to be a family project and hopefully I won't get too nutty.  I'd hate for it to become a thing that was too fragile for them to play with.


I've bought some wallpapers and a few odds and ends.  I picked up this tiny dollhouse to go in the kids' room. 


I saw the idea here and when I spotted it in a store, I snagged it.




It's cuckoo isn't it?  I'm too close to see it.  I may or may not have already spent hours reading dollhouse blogs.  Help!!!




4 comments:

Erin Elizabeth said...

Oh, my gosh, that is just precious. I love the Victorian details. I can't wait to see all the improvements you make. I'll keep my eyes open for doll house furniture whenever I'm out and about. Did you see the recent younghouselove posts on making a doll house?

chelsea b james said...

Doooont! I want one! I found some vintage doll house stuff when i first got married and I've been lugging it around everywhere with us. Adam thinks i have issues. your little house is sooo precious

cubby said...

you are my favorite! you just reached new heights in my book. I always wished i had one of these, your girls are lucky little ones and now they can refinish a home of their own. Chelsea bought one before she had runts and we were laughing so hard but we were looking at them the other day and they were treasures! you would have coveted them. she had like glass trinkets in it. yep you heard me right.

Jaime said...

I can honestly say that I'm a little jealous, Frances. That would be so fun! oh, and I started blogging again. Yes, you read right. :)