It was our first night in Madrid, it was a long day, and we finally had a chance to call Grandma and the girls. I was anxious to talk to them and was feeling very home sick. Brook got through and within two seconds the phone call didn't sound so good. Brook said something was wrong and the smart boy that he is handed the phone immediately to me. He knew I wouldn't be able to stand not hearing what she was saying. Jean said something happened and I just felt sick, my heart hurt. She told us that the girls had climbed up and gotten into her make-up bag which contained her pill box. With Lilian's guidance I'm sure, they ate some of the pills. Lilian promptly came and told grandma. It was a pill counter so she knew how many pills were there. Some sleeping pills, some anti-inflammatory, and some vitamins. She quickly started calling some emergency contacts but no one was home so she called 911. An entourage of emergency vehicles showed up at the house causing quite a scene on our little street. Well, Teeny followed the ambulance to Dayton Children's Hospital where they were well cared for. A neighbor called one of my friends who showed up to lend a hand (aka hold down Lilian while they were pumping her stomach). It was a long night. They were kept over for monitoring and woken up quite often. I don't think anybody slept. Everyone who came to the hospital to see how things were told me how impressed they were with Brook's mom. "She's the calmest person I've ever met." Like I told them, with 9 kids she saw her share of emergencies. The girls were given teddy bears and served pancakes in bed. Jean said Rosie thought she was some kind of celebrity the way she was treated. I'm so grateful she took such good care of the girls and I'm sorry her week with them wasn't more boring!






4 comments:
The girls had an adventure of their own while you were gone. I'm sure the pictures will come in handy when they sensationalize the experience to friends for years to come. I'm glad everyone is safe and sound. Miss you all!!
Everyone needs some hospital pictures when their kids are little. John thankfully doesn't have any yet! Hospital playrooms are always the best though.
I still can't believe they ate more than one pill, medicine is so yucky once you bite into a pill and if they swallowed it then that is just amazing!
oh brother....so sorry for your trouble! They are soooooo cute!
What a story. I'd be so worried it I was away and this happened. At least they were together right?
Post a Comment