Tuesday, June 15, 2010

How to Create a Silhouette in Photoshop Elements

There are probably many different ways to make a silhouette, this is just how I figured it out.

Take a picture of the subject in profile against a white background. Any solid color background should work as well. Here's my sweet Rosie:

Open the image in Photoshop Elements.

1. Use the Magic Wand tool to select the background. Edit > Cut
You may have to do this to several different areas; i.e. under the pony tail.

Your image should look something like this:

2. Use the eraser tool to clean up the image; take out shadows around face, stray hairs, leftover color in the background, etc.

I find it helpful to Zoom In under View and use a variety of sizes to clean up certain areas. Shadows were cast under her nose and chin. I also took out her shoulder which was a little hunched up under her chin and cleaned up her ponytail. The smoother your image is, the better the silhouette.

3. Again, using the Magic Wand tool select the background. If you have multiple background areas to select, (like under her ponytail) hold down the Shift key and select those sections all at once.

4. Select > Inverse. Now your image should be selected.

5. Enhance > Adjust Color > Adjust Hue/Saturation. Remove all Lightness (-100).

Now you have a nice black silhouette. Take it to a print store and viola! But if you want to get a little more arts & crafty without needing to be arts & crafty, continue on.
6. Layer > Duplicate Layer. I do this to preserve my nice black silhouette that I can look at any time.

7. Using Magic Wand Tool Select Image.  Edit > Stroke Outline Selection. I choose a 4px, black line outside the image. The one shown here is thicker to show up better in the picture, but a 4px line is small enough to preserve details and will print out just fine.

8. Using the Paint Bucket Tool, select white, and fill in the image. I do this so I don't use up a ton of printer ink when all I need is the outline.
9. Print. You can adjust the size depending on the frame or matte. I played around with a couple of prints till I achieved the right size.

10. Tape sides of print down onto nice black card stock. Using a sharp craft knife and a self-healing mat, cut out your silhouette.

I mounted it on light grey paper with Archival quality tape and framed. They look great. I feel so proud of them and can't believe how quick it was.

3 comments:

Sherri said...

You are so talented! Always have been! LOVE the silhouettes's!!!

Erin Elizabeth said...

Oh, dear, that seems difficult. I'll have to give it a try though.

Angela Bentley Fife said...

hello! I've been wanting to do this. I will copy you tomorrow. thanks for doing the work for me!